Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Well Intentioned


So, there are those people...you know what and who I am talking about...THOSE people. The ones at work who start around the same time you did and think they have a "knack" for picking up the job quickly. But, no it is not in a super helpful and productive way it is in a I know a lot because of all my experience that I need to bestow on you. THOSE are the kinds of people I am talking about. And do they stop with talking about themselves non-stop or their personal accomplishments...NO, no they don't. They continue, and this is the worst part, they try and act like they like and people like them. They do this by going around and checking up on people, asking them how they are and pretending to be interested in their lives. Most of the time this is done with the intent of gathering gossip to share with other people in the office(another way to show others how much they know).

Now it is possible that you are thinking...well I genuinely care about people, and I do gossip on occasion...Oh no, I also like to talk about myself. DO NOT BE ALARMED! If you have even considered the fact that you could be one of these people that most definitely means you are not. Most of the time they are so oblivious to themselves they wouldn't even understand the above paragraph. Onward and upward...

So, I am experiencing one of these people at my place of work. They are easy to interact with for the most part but there has been a problem. That problem exists within a series of emails that have been dispersed throughout the office. This person is planning a "food day", seems harmless enough I know, but it is evil...pure evil. I receive this email the other week explaining how there is going to be this "team" party and we will be ordering food and if we would like to offer a suggestion it will be considered. The end of email states emphatically that "we will be committing to this event as a team". Here in lies the rub...definitive statements from one inferior to another. That is right folks this person started working the exact same day I did, has no more knowledge or authority than anyone else in the group and she is making definitive statement AT people. So, I have garnered some significant support from other co-workers not on my team to boycott the food day. So, I am currently working to graciously bow out and avoid any potential confrontation. The report is still out...

Now some of you may be thinking I am rude, mean, and unkind. You would be right in assuming all of these things. However, that is not the point. The point is that these people can't be allowed to persist. We can't just go on assuming they are well intentioned. We must seek them out for the true self-loving evil gnomes they are, bright and shiny on the outside and hollow and moldy on the inside.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to hear what the outcome is. I think every work place has a person like this. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete